University of Southern QLD, U BLOCK - Refurbishment
West Street, Toowoomba QLD 4350
Complete June 2022
NRG Services were engaged by the University of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba for the refurbishment of their U Block learning space.
Previously situated with redundant buildings, NRG Services were contracted to rejuvenate the space into a new collaborative area, designed and inspired to allow students to meet and greet or take in the outside environment for learning, study or meetings.
NRG Services scope of work included:
• Removal and Demolition of 2 existing buildings within a prominent public location within the University
• Identification and removal of redundant undocumented services & asbestos containing material
• Construction of multiple concrete pathways
• Construction of new native garden area
• Installation of new cantilevered shade shelters
• Installation of new street furniture
Project Key Elements:
Due to the location of the worksite, in a prominent area of the University Campus – which was required to remain open to the staff & public; careful planning and working hours had to be considered.
One of the existing buildings was identified as contained ACM materials which required removal & disposal. NRG closely monitored the situation and used air monitoring and correct PPE.
Utilising exceptional communication skills, NRG Services worked with USQ to daily review the decisions on maintaining staff & public access to the areas around the worksite, as works in the vicinity changed constantly. To better ensure public safety, NRG Staff worked outside of hours wherever possible.